Saturday, November 13, 2010

Daisen Yaki

Suzuki Sakazuki

Daisen Yaki or Daisen Ware, has honestly eluded my best efforts to learn about it. Hindered most likely by my nearly nonexistent Japanese language skills. So far I know of only one vendor that offers Daisen Yaki to the west, that being Magokorodo, so I actually contacted him with several questions trying to learn more about this type of Japanese ceramic ware.

I honestly view the response to my questions as a bit of a puzzle, I have enough experience in foreign languages to know that it is completely different from being able to read another language, then being able to write in it in a way that is completely understandable to a native speaker of that language. That being said I think in my correspondence with the vendor things got lost in translation in several steps, which may fuel me to try and improve my Japanese. But I have honestly been rereading the message a few times a week trying to gleam as much as I can from it.

Suzuki Yunomi

My questions focused on whether or not T. Suzuki is the only artist producing Daisen Yaki, as his works are the only pieces I have ever seen labeled as such. While I still can not gleam from the vendors response an exact answer to that question the more I read it the more I understand about Japanese Ceramics in general. Some things I have already known such as the names of most types of pottery focus on the region in which they are produced. Although there are many different kilns all over Japan and only a few of them have any sort of wide spread notority, and even fewer are known for consistently producing top notch works of art.

So I am looking forward to acquiring more Daisen Yaki pieces, currently I have the two pictured in this post. The most amazing thing is how incredibly different these two pieces are.

HouDe DHP in Suzuki Sakazuki

2 comments:

  1. Hi.

    I was looking for info on Daisen ware when I stumbled onto this page. I am willing to write an article on my blog too about it.

    Just for info, Hidehisa from Magokorodo is using google to translate his messages. Sometimes understanding him is a bit "funky." ^^ It is a shame because he speaks a rather good english, but like a lot of japanese people, he is shy to do so.

    I like your cups very much. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many people lay to much trust with online translators, which for the most of their coding, it does basically a search word for word and switches them between languages. This is especially problematic when you have languages with vastly different sentence structure.

    That being said Google may be constantly trying to improve their translator, but language is such an individual thing, to where how native speakers phrase the sentence can say quite a bit about the intentions or thoughts of the speaker.

    ReplyDelete